Well my reflection for this post is a day when I felt ultimately satisfied with my life... well... I do remember a day when I was in South Korea. I had spent a busy weekend with the Rogers' family and was heading back to Uijeongbu on the 1 1/2 hour subway train ride home. I took my journal out and started thinking about my life over the course of the past 10 months I had spent in Korea and I broke down specific aspects of my life: spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional.
As I thought about these four parts of my life, I couldn't help but smile and feel great pleasure in how I was living my life. Spiritually: I felt closer to my Heavenly Father than every before and I wasn't afraid to share it with anyone who came in my path (as long as they spoke English haha). I felt more confident in my scripture study and gospel principles. I wasn't afraid to share my thoughts and feelings during classes or activities and I felt like I became an example in our branch and it felt amazing.
Physically: Well along with losing 30 lbs while I was over there, I also felt energetic and strong. I gained a love for walking and an appreciation for taking the stairs rather than the escalator (mostly because I could get up the stairs faster than on the escalator). Sadly I still had some insecurities, which I now think 'what the heck was I complaining about', but I was happy and felt more content with my physical looks than I have in my life. I felt beautiful, strong, healthy, and happy!
Mentally: I think through certain experiences I had while in Korea, I was forced to expand and challenge my mind and way of thinking. I learned to think more for myself than to follow what others wanted me to do. I gained more confidence in my ability to learn and to teach and gained a passion for both. I think the greatest mental gift I gained was the power of optimism/positivity. PJ is the happiest and most positive individual I have ever met and I truly didn't know it was possible for someone to be so happy and to have such an enormous and positive influence on those around. I didn't realize it till I got home, but spending time with the Rogers family was such a great blessing as an abundance of their positive energy was shared with me and I was the happiest I have ever been. PJ taught me that a huge part of why he is always so happy is because of his mindset. Every morning he wakes up and says to himself that it's a great day and that he is awesome. It sounded silly to me at first, but PJ challenged me that every morning I go to my bathroom mirror and say 'Dang, I'm beautiful!' and 'Man I am smart' as well as 'Today is going to be a great day!'. The first time I did it, I laughed at myself and thought I had clicked into Looney Land, but as I continued to do it (and not even every day), my attitude and perspective of not only myself, but those I was surrounded by began to alter and change in a more positive and productive way. What a blessing and something I need to work on getting back to again!
Emotionally: Korea was very lonely in the beginning and took a toll on me emotionally at times. I definitely had some good tears of sadness, plenty of happiness, some anger, and other emotions, but I gained respect and more awareness of my emotions and was able to make adjustments when needed.
Yes, this was a great day! I realized that by focusing on little goals within each of these four aspects of my life, I became the woman I had always wanted to become. It makes me a little sad to think that I've lacked in a few of these areas since that time, but it also motivates me to buck up and live a happier and more fulfilling life both for myself and for those around me. It's amazing the influence one person can have on a group of people and this is true in a variety of atmospheres. No matter what my mood was for the day, I knew when I walked in the Rogers home, I was going to be happier and feel better about myself.
So I am VERY glad this reflection came up because it's a great thing to be reminded of often and a very satisfying moment in my life that I want to revisit often in my current life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Your time in Korea was a hard time and a great time, but the growth I saw in you when you got home was amazing. Isn't it great to have this experience with you to take into your marriage and life?!!!! You are and will always be a very beautiful, positive person in my life. You have conquered so much already in your life trying to figure out who you are and what your worth is. You are my daughter who i love so very much. Great blog and very uplifting blog for me to read today!
Post a Comment