Thursday, October 1, 2009

Not Quite the Holiday I Had Hoped For.... Oh Well :)

So on Monday night, I got a text from my supervisor telling me to come to school at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday. I was pumped. I still was up early, but I was able to talk to my family and call my bestest friend, Kenz, and chat for a bit. So I only taught one class on Tuesday and after school we had a meeting with the director and our supervisors. They decided to close the school down for the week because one of our preschool kids has the swine flu. We were escatic and as Hayli and I left the school, we agreed that we needed to get away to a beach.

So I, of course, called PJ first. He gave me a great idea of going to an island called Casamia. I looked it up on the internet and it looked amazing. It would have costed us 35 won per night and there was tons to do... so I called Hayli and she said "well I didn't really wanna spend that much".. uh... ok. So she had another idea of staying in huts on an island she had found online. Well that sounded kinda different and fun, so I agreed. We called some other teachers to see if they'd like to join.
We were really excited about the island at this point!!! :)
So we met up with Jill, Jackie, and Mallory at the subway for a 2 hour subway ride down south, which by the way was silly... we could've just taken the airport shuttle which would have taken 45 minutes... anyway... so we take the subway and things are fine at this point. Then we transfer to a bus, missed our stop, so we rode on the bus for an hour.

Jackie and Mallory on our two hour subway ride

We stopped at the wrong island. No huts and really no people besides the pushy Korean women that were trying to get us to come and eat in their restaurants. So after wandering around for another 45 minutes we got back on another bus and rode back to the ferry place. The bus dropped us off and we had to walk 30 minutes to the ferry. Now we're still staying positive and happy at this point, but we've also been travelling for about 6 hours to get to this place.

We were making the best of our gong show of a bus ride..... :)
So we finally get on the ferry and across to the island, which was not even a 5 minute ferry ride. Another bus takes us to the island we told him. Another 20 minute ride. By the time we got to the beach it was dark. All the restaurants were closed and there were creepy Korean men who spoke little to no English. We were the ONLY ones renting out a hut on the beach. Not quite what I had expected. When I had heard this idea, I pictured a bunch of foreigners with bonfires, footballs, beach volleyball, and a beautiful ocean.... not so much. haha

On the ferry... Mallory, Jill, mwah, Hayli and Jackie...

The island............ I could thrown a stone and hit it.. that's how close it was.

On the ferry... on my way to the island... I was still excited at this point :)


So we finally got a couple of Koreans to re-open their restaurant at 8:00 p.m. to feed us. They were actually very kind and we were blessed to have them there and be so kind because every other restaurant we started walking towards, they'd start locking their doors and wave their arms to us. When we finished eating, it was about 9:00 p.m. and all the other girls were ready for bed... except me :) So I stayed up and played solitaire while Hayli laid down for bed. The other 3 girls were in another hut. It was the most uncomfortable sleep I have ever had :) The pillows were like bricks and the floor was like jagged rocks poking into my back all night.

Hayli ready to pass out at 9:00 p.m. She doesn't know how to party like I do :) hehe


So when I woke up at 7:45, Hayli was up and said that she was really not feeling well and could barely walk in a straight line.... so Hayli and I packed up and were on our way back at 8:30 in the morning. We, or course, took the shorter route home, but I was home and no beach for me. I was quite bummed out.

The beach and huts we stayed in. Only got to enjoy it for about 5 minutes :) haha
So after lazing around for a while... I decided to take up Lynz and Dust's 'challenging' 100 piece dinosaur puzzle :) I actually had a great time jammin to my music and putting it together. It's glow in the dark too... how exciting. After I finished it, I taped it all together and it is now sitting on my kitchen cupboard ready to keep me company tonight.

I also went for a great run tonight in my new running shoes, which I LOVE!! It was a bit of a challenge getting my hiney out of the apartment, but it was a great run on a beautiful night! I always have Koreans turning their heads to watch me run by... it's like they've never seen a foreigner running on the path... or maybe just not a foreigner with such perfect form and quickness :) hehe I'm looking forward to some more good runs this fall, with the nights getting a little cooler.. it sure feels good to have that breeze with sweat dripping down my face :)

I was a little bit down about the whole situation when I got home... BUT after I had a little convo with my sista, mom and daddy-o... I agreed that things could be a lot worse :) I could have been working today or sick like Hayli and some other teachers. So I will definatley take advantage of this time off with some relaxation, hiking, puzzle making, cleaning, movies, and chillin with friends... oh and of course blogging :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad said...
Duh!!!!!! Of course, "Blogging" What else would you do when you love your old man so much?

Perfect blog kiddo. Summed it up perfectly, shared some interesting experiences and thoughts and added few pictures to boot. But......"costed us". Karie is turning over in her grave....er...bed on that one. Oh well, English usage is only important when you're surrounded by a preponderance of English speakers. You're not so you're free to butcher things however you'd like.

Enjoy your days off. Sleep in, catch a movie, go for runs, recuperate, and laze around a little. Sure love and miss you Krissy-poo!!

lynz said...

awww - glad you saw the glass 1/2 full and love the puzzle! the picture of the huts makes me laugh so hard, and i love the one of you with the sunset in the background on the ferry :) if nothing else, good memories a little lazing around never hurt anyone! enjoy it while it lasts chickee and LOVE the new blog background! dust says he had the hot lips, so he's quite pleased with the change too!