Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bball Weekend!

I have been kindly reminded of my avoidance of doing my blog by my dear father again. Thank goodness for him! This past week was a busy one and I'm pretty sure the next month will be very similar. School assignments are are coming up and are worth between 40-50% each, so I have got my work cut out for me. This past Wednesday, our social class went on a field trip :) We went to a history center that just so happened to be on the top floor of the school I am working at for my practicum this semester. It was interesting... well for the first 10 minutes.. I spent the following hour and a half sitting at a table visiting with 3 other ed girls. It was fun to get out of the classroom though!

This weekend the ysa had a basketball tournament, well at least for the boys, so we spent most of the weekend at the gym watching Cars play. Cars played awesome in the first game and I made sure all my church friends new I had taught him everything he knew :) Saturday was a bit of a different story, Cars' team played 4 games on Saturday and you could tell their bodies just weren't used to that kind of continuous play. Their team got into the final, but just didn't have the legs. The other team got lucky and couldn't miss a shot, but Cars' team was the exact opposite. Shawn Elford was the only one hitting the shots the whole game. It was really too bad because Cars' team should've won it all!

I worked Friday and Saturday night again. My last scheduled awake night shift, which I'm a little relieved about. On Friday, I was chatting with the youth worker who was getting off shift and we started talking about some old residents. She told me a story about a 7 year old girl, blonde hair, blue eyed cutie, who was placed in the home for a few weeks. The little girls' story goes that her and her 4 year old brother used to get locked in the basement while their parents went out and partied.... sad i know... but it gets worse. The little girls mom used to sell her daughter to do sexual favors for drugs. That's right, at 7 years old!! I couldn't believe and my heart ached for this little girl. While she was living in our home, she tried to give the other residents her allowance money to 'touch her' among other things. Luckily this was caught by youth workers and she was moved to a hospital for psychological help as we are definitely not trained to deal with this sort of stuff. You always hear stories like this, but to meet or know someone it actually happened is unreal! It reminded me of how blessed I have been in my life to grow up in a great little town with great people and a stellar family who love me more than anything in the world!

Last night I was laying on the couch attempting to catch a little sleep and just as I was getting comfortable, cramp in my right calf.... OUCH!!! I wanted to cry! I don't remember the last time I had a cramp like that! And that was my week in a nutshell!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad said:

YOU BLOGGED!!!!!!!!!! THANKS, KIDDO!!!

mom said...

We miss the days of watching our kids play basketball but it's still great to hear about it and Krissy playing last night with no contacts or glasses and hitting 3 three's!!!! I love reading your blogs and reading your blogs! You're an awesome daughter too!