Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Where To Start!?!?!?

I know... it's been too long this time. I have been reminded by my dad numerous times in the past month about how I have shafted my blog. My excuse earlier was that I was in practicum and had zero time to sit around playing with my blog. My schedule went like this... wake up 5:30 a.m go to the gym come home at 730 and shower... got to my school... teach till 330, meet with my cooperating teachers till 4-430, go home and eat then start lesson planning for my next day, and go to bed. Some nights I also had fhe to plan and go to and tues and thurs I had the basketball camp I'm working with from 6-8, so it was a busy few weeks. After my practicum... well no excuse, I just haven't sat down at my computer long enough to blog about my life, which has been pretty fun this past month or so.

My practicum was great!! It was super busy and gave me a pretty good idea of the time and effort that is going to be going in my first few years of being a new teacher! I grew to really love my kids and the teachers I worked with and my evaluations with them went really well! They both offered to write me reference letters which will really help in my interviews later on. I have applied to do my 9-week practicum next fall in Raymond and I'll hear back about that at the beginning of June, so I'll cross my fingers for that because I feel like it would be a great opportunity when that is where I want to be teaching anyway... in a small town somewhere.

We had spring break in the middle of my practicum and I had a blast during the break. I got to catch up with some of my girls and even scooped up a boyfriend too :) I know, ya'll want details... the will come later :) Kara Leavitt, Jen Salekin, Jena Bolen and I all got together and had a little lunch party together, which was delicious and a lot of fun! Kara hosted the party and the meal still makes my mouth water when I think about it. We had bbq'd salmon with mixed steamed vegetables and a salad.


I also had my first take trying out snowmobiling and I LOVED it!! I went with Dustin Sheen (my man :)) and his little bro, Riley. I was a little hesitant in the beginning trying to get a feel of just how it worked, which way I should lean and other little tricks to being a professional snowmobiler :) Dust and Riley, of course, were pros and were taking jumps and riding on one ski... it was pretty fun to watch. We had a great time and by the time we got back to the truck, I felt pretty comfortable standing up and leaning side to side.



When I got back to Edmonton, I was welcomed home with room that was beginning to flood. My box spring was soaked and it quickly spread 3/4 of our room by mid week, so I spent the next two weeks trying to move Kait and my stuff upstairs out of the flooded room, find a new place to live, contact the tenant/landlord advisory board, and health services while also finishing up the last two weeks of my practicum.... whew... it was quite the two weeks! Our landlord was not helpful at all. His response to my phone call letting him know about the flood was 'ya the room floods every year and unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it"... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! So my response to him was to call the tenant/landlord advisory board and get the health services inspector to come check out his dungeon house. Let's just say he should've been more helpful when I first called. He's pretty much going to have to redo the whole house in order to rent it out again. Serves him right... and he's a freakin radiologist... so he definitely has the money to fix the place up so it's liveable... anyway... I have been very blessed to have grown close with a couple girls in my ed program and one of them, Robin... has adopted me. Her family offered for me to move in with them for the summer without paying any rent. They refused the money I offered them and said my only job was to make sure the milk and bread were always available in the house :) So sweet of them! They have been so welcoming and kind and I feel really comfortable at their home.

I got a job at 'Bridal Debut' as a consultant... meaning I pretty much pick out dresses for brides to try on and help them pick out jewelry and shoes if they want too. I still have a lot to learn. I've never been the girlie type who knows all the designers and fittings of different dresses, so I'm learning a lot there :) Its been really fun and I've already picked out 'THE dress' for a few brides to be.

1 comment:

lynz said...

when i saw "the dress" in quotations, i thought you had found your "the dress" and i was like.....you can't find "the ring" and "the dress" before "the engagement!" haha thanks for an update! i'll need those a lot more often in a few days!