This weekend was pretty relaxed. On Friday, I went out for dinner with Hayli and Elisa from work. We went to an Indian restaurant and it was delicious, spicy, but delicious. Then Elisa took us to a clothing store that her friend owned. We got some sweet deals! I got a really cute scarf that I'm sure you'll see in the future when it is cool enough to wear it :)
Dai and I were supposed to go hiking on Saturday, but because of miscommunication it didn't happen, so I just headed to the gym in the morning, talked to my stellar sister, Lynz, for like 2 hours which was soooo fun! We dont' have those long talks too often because she's busy with lil Beckam and the time difference doesn't help the situation. She taught me the Korean symbols again and I've been trying to pay more attention to the Korean symbols in the subway and walking around! Wish me luck!! haha It was great to see lil Beckam and his stellar parents and talk with them for while! Anyways, after chatting with Lynz, Dai called and she had planned to meet with Bob up at Camp Casey later on that night, so we ended up going together. We all went out for dinner on base at this scrumtious restaurant. I had a grilled chicken salad and it was mmm mmmm good!! We watched a baseball game and chatted for quite some time and then we played pool for a lil while. I learned that, well I'm not the best pool player, but I am professional at scratching the ball. I hit the white ball in the pockets at least 5 times in our 2 games! But no worries, I'll get practicing and kick both of their butts next time!! :)
Dai slept over Saturday night, which was interesting considering my bed is tiny. Luckily, Dai came up with a solution. We used my yoga mat and my blanket from my bed and she slept on that. I'm not too fond of sharing a single bed ya know. Not my cup of tea!
Sunday morning came and I was quite tired. I got ready and headed to the subway. As I stepped on the train and looked for a seat, a lady and an older man all of a sudden got very excited and started smiling and waving to me. I took my earphones off to hear the woman say "hello hello hello hello". I could tell that she had a slight mental disability and I decided to sit by her and chat for a bit. She spoke very little English and the man with her, who turned out to be her father, spoke a little better, but not much. They asked as many questions as they could get out properly and I asnwered and explained as best I could. The woman kept calling me uh... yepida or something like that, which means beautiful. I just smiled and said kahm sahm mi duh (thank you). Well about 10 minuts in, she wrapped her arm around mine and was holding my hand. Now this was VERY uncomfortable for me, but I could tell by the smile on her face that it was making her day, so I toughed it out. Anyway, I decided to give her a picture of me with a note on the back. Luckily I had a picture of me in my scriptures, so I wrotes "To: Krista I love you! Smile always because you are beautiful! Love Kristen" and I gave it to her. She had tears in her eyes and started rummaging through her purse. Here in Korea, they believe that if you receive something from something, you must give a present back in response, which is ridiculous, but she had no pictures. She took out her make-up kit and handed me a lil mirror :) It was sooo cute. Her father showed a lot of gratitude for just those few minutes I had given to her and it just made me realize how much a hello or smile can do for a person. Anyway, I thought it was cute story :)
My new lil mirror from Krista!! :)
3 comments:
awww, you are so nice to make that girl's day! love the little mirror and love that you had a picture of yourself! haha
sounds like a fun weekend to me, and i loved those flowers along the fences too :) so beautiful!
Dad said
That's a cut story, kiddo! The kind of things that make life and your time over there memorable and worthwhile, no?
I love it when you blog!!!!! Somehow the paragraph or two and the pictures you include compress the distance between us and make it far easier to handle. Now, if you big (stellar) sister would be able to find the time to pitch one or tow in there more often and we could get Carson in Arkansas to do the same I'd almost feel like life was.........well, er, "normal".
Well i have to say that there's not many people that would take the seat you did and make someone's day!!!! Good job and way to let it be comfortable in her taking your hand and touching your hair. good job!!!! I love seeing the pictures and was wanting one of your supper and stuff. Good job though and i loved hearing the stories and seeing new ones on your blog. Luv you tons
Post a Comment