Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mind's a Racing

So today was a pretty mediocre day. After class, my seminar group and I went to an elementary school to do some interviewing and get a better idea of how community, parents, and volunteers help out with schools. It was so fun to be in a school and realize that that may be be in a couple of years. The kids were so darn cute too! After going to the school, I headed back to Concordia to catch some bball action as the boys were scrimmaging against another team.
Just as the game was about to end, the assistant coach for the girls team strolled in and caught my eye. His name is Bob and he is a persistent old man. I barely went a week my last month in Korea without getting an email from him asking about my plans for the fall. He even took me out for lunch to talk about the fall when I came up to Edmonton in the spring for my ed interview.

So we got talking and he asked if I had thought at all about playing in the second semester. I hadn't really, but definitely have missed playing. He went and got the head coach to introduce me and the other assistant coach and they surrounded me and laid on the heat :) haha ok it wasn't that bad. But in short, the head coach, Rob, said he'd do anything to have me play as long as it was in his power. He offered to buy me new basketball shoes, get a #13 jersey especially for me, and scholarship money. They talked about how they needed more leadership and fight on the court... i dunno why they would think of me when it came to 'fight' on the court... i like to consider myself very calm and collective when I step on the bball floor :)

Anyway... I left the gym with the head coaches number and plea to use it. I must say it is very tempting. I would only be playing for 2 1/2 months and my schedule for school really isn't that demanding as long as I stay on top of things, which besides my essay from Thanksgiving weekend, I have done very well doing. It's definitely something I will take in consideration and start getting my hiney in shape just in case, but who knows :)

So for today, I'm thankful for opportunities! It was such a confidence booster to have these 3 guys sitting around me, tooting my horn and begging me to be part of their program. I know most of it is just college recruiting b.s. but it felt good. Playing at Concordia was the best decision I made when it came to my post-secondary playing! I loved the school, the team, and the passion everyone had for the game. So.... do I take a round #2 at this Concordia thing... we'll see :)

Dear someone I wish I could meet,
When I first looked at this question, the person who popped into my head was, of course, President Monson! I have seen him on the television with conference and even in person as my siblings and I have travelled down to watch conference and he is such a kind, funny, inspiring man! I would love to meet him and have some time to talk to him one-on-one... what an experience that would be!! As I pondered this question a little more, I'd have to say Mr. Steve Nash would be the next one on the list! I've always said, if he told me he'd leave his wife and marry me.... I'd be done... call me Mrs. Steve Nash! haha... I LOVE watching him play!!! He's is an all-around great player and he seems so humble about it. He's got personality and humor and I think he's pretty darn good looking too.. especially when he has his long hair blowing as he speeds down the court :) So either one of those two will do.... :)

3 comments:

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

Maybe you should come live here for a while and we'll work on the Steve Nash thing! I think he's awesome too, and he's always on these funny tv commercials here!

lynz said...

that is sooo cool! i can't say enough about how much i love this daily blogging thing :) you'll have to find another project after this one for sures! i'll call you laters to see how you're feleing about the whole bball thing, but i have to say taht the #13 jersey thing would have me sold! haha

mom said...

Yeah, that #13 puts a smile on my face too and NEW SHOES!!!! Pretty dang special that coaches want you to inspire a team and i know you would do it! You LOVE this thing called basketball and it is felt by anyone that has the opportunity to play or talk to you about bb. I love love love your blogs!!!